This recipe helps fight depression. Curl up with a cup of lentils on a rainy day to keep things sunny inside. Kale and the little legumes are great sources of folate, important for a good mood.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots (8 to 9 ounces), peeled, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 medium celery root (celeriac), peeled, chopped (3 cups)
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 pound brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 8 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch kale (about 9 ounces), ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
PREP: 35 MIN TOTAL: 55 MIN
- Heat oil in large pot over high heat. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until beginning to soften and brown, 10 to 11 minutes. Stir in lentils and herbes de Provence. Add broth and kale. Bring to boil, stirring to incorporate kale. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Add more broth to thin, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.